Saturday, 30 May 2009
Thursday, 28 May 2009
Wednesday, 27 May 2009
It has brought to my attention that the post about stitching thimbles needs some additional information; how to tidy up the initial stitch.
Anyone who has tried this kind of thimble making knows how difficult to make a neat initial stitch. If yours did not turn out to your satisfaction, here is a tip to modify it:
Saturday, 16 May 2009
My fellow thimble maker gave me PDF file the other day and asked me to help her understand the diagram of the design. It was a beautiful design named Flower Diamonds, although it's not for a beginner, it shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce. It requires 21 segments so my usual thimble is out because it's too small to appreciate the beauty of gradation of colours, so a pincushion I decided on, then.
I was supposed to be finishing another set of napkin rings (still am working on them) however, I have been kind of fed up with them. They are beautiful all right, but since they are napkin rings, they are big and I need to make a certain number of them i.e. a set of six. Big six rings shouldn't be too bad if they vary in colours and/or designs. Sadly they do not. I will show them in my next post and you would understand.
Anyway, I was just too happy to have some distraction from my monotonous and time consuming napkin rings. The problem was that the instruction and diagram were not very user friendly. It took me a while to understand what the author meant and even after I started stitching I still had my doubt. Then, after 3rd row, I realized I had indeed misunderstood the diagram. If it was anything other than the thimble, I would have undone and started over however, it's not advisable to undo thimbles because it weakens the base. So I had two options; either abandon or continue. I had a vague idea what it would be like and wanted to see if it would turn out as expected. It did and here is my latest pincushion with pink festoon :)
Saturday, 2 May 2009
Friday, 1 May 2009
As I said this is the biggest ring I have ever made. By making this, I have learned a few things; that the bigger the ring, the sturdier it has to be and that I had better make a design diagram before hand. This is supposed to appear as sunburst but because of the angle of the thread I doubt it may not look like one. I need to finish to be certain, but I have my doubt. And lastly that the bigger the ring, the more tired it makes me :)