Saturday 2 April 2011

found something I could do, too

*******
This is my second post today.  If you are visiting for Pink Saturday, please scroll down.  Thank you and wish you happy pink weekend.
*******
I subscribe several (perhaps many) newsletters and one of them told me this morning that a craft organization was collecting tote bags to send to the children in affected area.  The organization, Japan Handcraft Instructors' Association, was asked by its member in the affected area to see if they could collect hand made tote bags for children because they lost almost all the belongings as tsunami hit the area, let alone school bags. 
As soon as I read it, I started digging in my hoard of fabric.  The one I used for the bag is something I have been saving for something special as it was the last of the bolt at the store and I was told that it had been discontinued so no more was available.  I found it's a perfect occasion to use up one of my most coveted fabric.  The instruction given on the web page along with the specification looked easy enough so I took out my machine and started sewing.  It took me five hours to finish because, as I told you several times, I am not very good at machine sewing.  It didn't help that the bag has to be made of quited fabric and I didn't have ready-quited fabric at hand.  Over all, I am quite satisfied with the finished bag and I hope the new owner would like it, too.

The organization is one of the government registered organization and reliable one, I believe, to entrust my bag to deliver to the children in the coastal area in Fukushima.  The nuclear complex is focused at the moment but the area was also affected by tsunami.  Tsunami was the reason why we have problems at the power plant, to start with.  If you would like to join to make bags to the children, here is a link to the details.  The problem is that their English page tells you nothing about the project but the general information of the organization and their activities.  The closing date to receive bags is 15th April and it won't give you much time to send them from abroad, I am afraid, and there is an issue regarding tax/duty.  I know there are several readers who live in Japan.  Perhaps some of you could participate in the programme I am hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment