Friday, 12 February 2010

A make a month February 2010

I am so proud of myself that I have finally finished the long (not so) forgotten curtains for a spare room. I do not want to say when I bought the fabric so you can assume it was a long time ago. A piece of the curtain consists of four 125m width of the fabric and I used the machine to put the fabric together but other than that it was all hand sewn, including attaching the lining and pleating, as I was taught in the curtain making course almost ten years ago. One of the reason I put off making it is that I have to use my dining table as a working space. It becomes a really big piece of fabric when you put 4 width of the fabric together and it requires quite a big space to accommodate it. I had to use only the very edge of the table for about a week and you can imagine how inconvenient it was.

This is not my first hand sewn curtains, but it's my first time I spaced the pleats so that the same part of the pattern appears at the same intervals; the big flower part always on the pleats and the narrow flowery stripes at the flat part. It took some time to figure out how best to space the pleats but it was worth the trouble.

I am not really good at sewing, machine or hand sewing, but I like matching pattern of the fabric and I did quite well this time, if I may say so myself.

This is the wrong side of the fabric and you can see the pattern match on the seam allowance, too.

I have joined the "a make a month 2010" programme and this is my make of the month of February however, there is still enough time to make something from the long accumulated hoardings, so I may be posting something else at the end of the month.


  1. Much more ambitious than I am. They came out lovely!

  2. WOW!!!! I bow to your brilliance! I could never imagine hand stitching curtains. I am impressed with the way you got the pattern to match too. Awesome!